Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mark 8:1-10 :: Oh How Soon We Forget

Alright friends, I am jumping in today. I love reading Mark in the sense that I connect more with the disciples in this book than some of the others. Today is a perfect example. I am forgetful. There you go, I said it. I say things, then forget I said them. I plan things, then forget to do them. I meet people, then forget their names.

Now where was I?

In the first 10 verses of chapter 8, Mark describes another miraculous feeding performed by Jesus. It's different from the story in chapter 6 in several ways. Only seven loaves were available this time. The people weren't organized into groups as before. Also, when finished, the disciples used different kinds of baskets to pick up the left-overs - they were larger baskets which could hold a person, instead of a small basket intended to carry food. But no matter the differences, Jesus still is the main character and the people ate and were satisfied.

My first note of curiosity when reading the story is that the disciples seemed to have forgotten their earlier experience of mass feeding. Had that much time passed since the last feeding? Not really sure. Did Jesus' reluctance to do miracles remove their expectation? Doubtful. They sort of remembered because in this account they didn't immediately ask Jesus to send the people away, but began looking for something to feed the people. To their credit, they at least remembered that much. I think however that they were like me, like most of us. They experienced God's power and provision but then followed up that experience with actions of unbelief.

Aren't we all the same way? Don't we experience God's power moving in our lives in one instance, then when the next difficulty arrives, we seem to forget about the way God took care of us? I walk through the dark roads of cancer with a friend who loses her husband and I witness the power and love of Father in their life. Then, years later another friend gets sick and I worry and complain and fear what will happen to him and his family. I have to be reminded.

One of the ways that we are continually reminded is when we share a meal at the common table. This is more than beans and cornbread, even though beans and cornbread are great. When we sit together with friends at the table of community, we are reminded of God's provision through the stories of others. When I am confused about my direction in life, those at the table share a story of God's provision and I remember Him. For me, this is the beauty of the Eucharist, or the Lord's Supper, or Communion. It's not the bread and the wine, but the remembrance. Remembering what Jesus did on the cross to regain a relationship with us. Remembering that he took care of me yesterday, so I can trust him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment