Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mark Chapter 13

"Be alert!" - Jesus in Mark 13:33

How much longer will this world last? What are the signs that the end is near? It seems these questions have not worn out over 2,000 years. They are still being asked today, just as the disciples asked them of Jesus.

Do you want the world to end, or for Jesus to return soon? If you're reading this, my guess is that your answer is "not yet." We live very comfortable lives in this world, relative to most and relative to history. We still want to see our kids grow up, experience retirement, travel, meet our soulmate, or make our mark in the world. We believe we have things to look forward to in this life. But many people don't and have not: slaves, the poor, those with severe illnesses, people living under oppression. Others have also desired his return: people who have fallen so deeply for Jesus that they're willing to stay here if he wants them to, but they'd be just as well to be with him and leave even the best things about this world. I've had the privilege of knowing a few people like that in my life, and they are a joy to be around. They see life differently than the rest of us - they hold on loosely, love extremely, and have a freedom that comes from not being a stakeholder in the things that produce the lines on the rest of our faces.

Jon Foreman of Switchfoot calls it "the beautiful letdown."

It was a beautiful letdown the day I knew
All the riches this world had to offer me would never do
In a world full of bitter pain and bitter doubt
I was trying so hard to fit in, to fit in, until I found out
That I don't belong here

Can you relate to that? I don't ask the question to induce guilt. I can relate to it at times, but not always. Sometimes I love this life. I love the people and yes, even the things God has blessed me with, and I don't think that's wrong (up to a point). But Jesus reminds us all in Mark 13 that the people can't save us and the things are temporary. Some of it will crash dramatically, like the temple in Jerusalem. Some will slowly fade away. But it will all be gone. When that day comes -- and it could be any time -- are you and I ready? Are we alert? Do we have something -- I should say someone -- to hold on to that will never pass away?

Note: Jesus uses the strange phrase "abomination that causes desolation" in verse 14. This is a reference to prophecies of the coming Messiah in Daniel (see Daniel 9:26-27) in which the Anointed One is killed and another ruler destroys the city and the temple. Jesus is obviously predicting his own death, and possibly also the physical destruction of the temple which occurred in 70 AD.

No comments:

Post a Comment