Friday, September 24, 2010

Romans 3:19-20 :: Logs and Mirrors

Romans 3:19-20 (The Message and TNIV)

This makes it clear, doesn't it, that whatever is written in these Scriptures is not what God says about others but to us to whom these Scriptures were addressed in the first place! And it's clear enough, isn't it, that we're sinners, every one of us, in the same sinking boat with everybody else? Our involvement with God's revelation doesn't put us right with God. What it does is force us to face our complicity in everyone else's sin. (The Message)

As a pastor, I often fall into the trap of reading the bible simply to find new truths to share with others.  There was even a season where I would write down things from my bible readings that could or would eventually make it into a sermon, a blog post or some other teaching..."Not that there's anything wrong with it."  When I succumb to that temptation, I fail to see that the bible has something to say to me.  When I fail to see that the bible has something to say to me, I allow myself to live with blindspots that prevent me from experiencing the true life God intends for me.  When I read this bible we have, it is really reading me.

Our involvement with God's revelation doesn't put us right with God.  Just knowing the right answers doesn't fix anything.  God's truth is like a mirror.  When you look in the mirror and see that your hair is a mess and you have chocolate on your cheek, you don't walk away thinking that it's fixed because you saw it in the mirror.  That would be crazy.  The mirror reveals the truth that your hair is a mess and that you have chocolate on your cheek.  The fix is not the mirror or in knowing you have a problem.

What it does is force us to face our complicity in everyone else's sin.  The bible and God's reveal out part in the corporate nature of sin in our world.  When you sin, it affects me.  When I sin, it affects you.  True community has a deep understanding of this truth.  We are all in this "sinking boat" together and only God can fix it and bring us back into right relationship with Himself.  He does this through Jesus.

I have to admit, this was easy for me to admit when I became a Christ-follower.  I understood that I wasn't the only one who sins, but that everyone falls short of God's perfect plan.  However, I lose sight of this too often today.  I still fall prey to seeing the specks in others' eyes before seeing the log in my own eye.

What stands out for you in today's reading?  Or maybe there's something you've been wanting to share about something else you've read this week?  Do you buy into our sin affecting each other?

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely buy into the the fact that our sins affect each other. I think we'd honestly be crazy to believe our actions/sins affect only ourselves.

    I take my own family for example; if one of us, including me, is dishonest or hurtful to the other(s), for example, our whole household is askew. Nothing works right, emotions are raw, and often even more sin occurs. That is, until we apologize and forgive.
    It's the same with our relationships outside of our families; if there is avoidance, un-forgiveness...whatever...that relationship is equally affected--and those surrounding that relationship (other friends, spouses, or family members) are also affected. It creates situations where it can lead to gossip, slander, bitterness, or even just a feeling of awkwardness and discomfort. That's all on top of the original sinful action.
    For me, though, I must admit, it's a little easier to avoid the conflict with other non-immediate family members, especially, when it's not under my own roof. I find ways to see others' specks in those situations, more often than not.
    But, as I've grown older and learned, neither of those responses ever solves anything. With God's help, I am continuously striving to be better at stepping into the conflict with intentions to resolve and forgive.

    ...It's when God reminds me that I, too, have been sinful, that I am a little better about apologizing both to the other person and God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has taken all the wind out of arguments of mine countless times. I will have built up a huge attack against a person as to why they are wrong, wrong, wrong and I have been wronged wronged wronged. And then the gentle Spirit whispers "wait, and look", and I have to go find my mirror and dig the log out of my eye. Thank God for that gentle Spirit, as I would have ruined relationships. I think that would be what's called righteous indignation, and as Christians, we have no right to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the sad things about being so critical of others is that we often miss out on some of the best things about those "others." Every person I know has something about them that might be considered a "speck" to someone else, but every person I know also has something wonderful about them that makes me remember them. Being critical is when I don't see the something wonderful and focus on the "speck." Not only do I want to not express this in my life, but I really want God to just take it away from my inside.

    ReplyDelete