Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Romans 3:9 :: The Ground Is Level at the Foot of the Cross

Romans 3:9 TNIV and Message translations

"We are all equal in the sight of God."  You won't find many people who disagree with that statement.  But there is a problem: Paul approaches it from the negative side.  We are all equally needy, equally insufficient.  Instead of starting with the positive (we are all equally loved and valued by God), he starts on the opposite side: we're all in the same boat, and it's the Titanic.

Why?  Hasn't he ever heard of positive reinforcement, or self-esteem?  Well, in this case, self-esteem is actually the problem.  In this verse, Paul is speaking directly to a specific group: Jewish Christians, who remain convinced that there is something about them--through nationality or knowledge or good deeds--that gives them a leg up on people who have a different pedigree.  Paul's message is not a "sinners in the hands of an angry God" sermon to a bunch of people seeking Him.  It is a rebuke directed at Christians who have fallen into the trap of believing they are superior.

God still speaks to us through these words...harshly.  Who are you?  You think you're better than the next guy because of your Bible knowledge or Christian upbringing?  Think again.  Actually, you're just like him.  So act accordingly.

What are the subtle ways we undermine this message?  How do we communicate an insider/outsider, good people/bad people, or wise/ignorant people perspective to those around us?  If we truly understand this message, how will it change the way we view and/or treat people?

All the pride that would divide us comes tumbling down
Let it crumble into pieces at the mighty sound
Of the beating of the hearts of the grateful ones
All united in the power
Of Your all-embracing, all-including, all-forgiving, all-enduring love

1 comment:

  1. I don't know many people, including myself, who would proclaim, out loud, that they/we are better than or superior to anyone else. But, it does crop up, at least for me, in my thoughts, especially; not that I'm better, just different, and "obviously, because they don't know Jesus (or they cuss, or they watch the wrong shows, or they've had an affair, or they hold to very different religious beliefs, if any at all, or, or, or)..." Which is then followed by, "maybe my kids should steer clear," for example. Or, I might think, "Oh, how sorry I feel for them, because they obviously don't know Jesus and they are making very poor choices."
    When, in reality, I should just love them....
    Avoidance and/or criticism is far easier, though.
    I need to work on that.

    Father, open my eyes, today, to how I can love (either through actions, words, or even my thoughts) someone who is not like me, however that is revealed. Forgive me for thinking I'm better.

    ReplyDelete