Friday, October 22, 2010

Romans 5:18-21 :: Out Of It v. Into It

Romans 5:18-21 in The Message and TNIV

This morning as I read through our text for today, a few things popped out at me.  First, there is the issue of the phrase "many people in the wrong" (MSG) or "many were made sinners" (TNIV).  Why didn't Paul say, through one man "all people were made sinners."  Another thing that stands out is the idea that the law actually increases the number of lawbreakers.  I resonate with this because I have kids, and we parents know that as soon as we declare parent law on some activity, they want to do that activity.  It's just how we seem to be wired up...or messed up based on our previous readings.

But there was one idea that seemed to stand out above both of those to me.  The idea comes from the phrase "But more than just getting us out of trouble, he got us into life!"  As I repeated this phrase over and over, I began to think of the times that I have viewed my relationship simply as God getting me out of something.  When I first became a Christian, God was getting me out of hell.  Then he was getting me out of my circle of friends.  Then he was getting me out of bad language.  Then he was getting me out of secular music.  Then he was getting me out of partying.  Then he was getting me out of trouble.  I am not convinced that this is a completely bad thing when you are young in the faith.  Jesus called his disciples away from what they were doing, so he could show them the way in which he would want them to live and love.  For me, I think there is a problem staying in this mode of living.

At some point, we have to move from seeing our relationship with God as getting us out of something and instead getting us into something.  If we don't, we become "No Christians."  You know what this is don't you?  It's the Christian who is always running away from things because they are not "spiritual" enough.  They are the ones who refuse to eat at the best burger joint in town because they serve beer.  They won't let "non-Christian" kids play with their kids because they will "corrupt."  They create fall festivals instead of heaving fun out in the neighborhood with all the people God loves deeply.  You got it right?

Now, if we are going to be people who "get into life", what do you think that will look like?  God infuses life into everything we do.  Maybe we are families who participate in city sports instead of upward sports, and we train our kids how to be Christ-like in difficult situations.  Maybe we trust God enough to let our kids play with the kids down the street who cuss all the time, training them to stand for what they believe and not be swayed by the actions of others.  Maybe we stay in that difficult job because there are people around us who need to hear the life-giving message of Jesus.  Maybe we see Halloween as an incredible opportunity to get to know our neighbors and discover that we actually like them.  Maybe we are a church who stands up for the poor and the unfortunate, rather than knocking down the people and companies that don't do it the way we think they should.  Just maybe...

What are your "maybe's"?  "All sin can do is threaten us with death.  Grace...invites us into life" (v20-21)  What ways can we live as Christ-followers who offer life rather than simply threaten others with death by our actions?  What ways do you see this being fleshed out in your life?

6 comments:

  1. Your comments remind me of an explanation I heard a few years back - that as a Christian, one is either a 'consumer' or a "contributor". You are either receiving God's grace, forgivness, and love, learning about the big story, etc.. in other words, getting out of sin/death.

    In the "contributor" role, you start to giving grace, forgiving others and loving others that are as screwed up as you were and sharing the big story of Christ as Savior - in other words, LIVING by serving like Jesus did and does.

    I find it difficult to not "consume" at least some of the time and I know for a fact that "contributing" offers a huge return on investment. This ROI is much more limited when you only "contribute" with those that fit the role of "good Christians". Not only is the ROI limited, but I personally have "bad friends" that this kind of "goody two shoes" type segregation drives them further away from ever listening to the big story. It builds up a resentment that is hard to break through. It is the opposite of contributing / LIVING.

    I probably err on the side of not being "different" enough to these 'bad" people, because I have seen how hurtful it is to segregate as "Christians". If I was totally honest, it kind of makes me want to stay away from those types as well. My struggle is to see ALL people as Jesus sees them, regardless of whether they are a consumer, contributor, or even a "bad investment"... God help me.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Paul has made a good case that it is not about the law (the doing/not doing), that it is about life (grace invites us into life...). And Jesus is life: I am the way, the truth, and the life... Jesus invites us into relationship with Himself and the Father and the Spirit. Period.

    The external "markers" aren't what are important. The whole rules based/segregational lifestyle is what Jesus railed against His whole ministry on earth. He called it a millstone that the Pharisees tied around the neck of those they claimed to be helping. I don't know about you, but that sounds more like life ending, not life giving.

    At one point, Jesus told His disciples who were trying to keep a group of kids from bothering Jesus, that they needed to get out of the way and let the children come to Him. He told His disciples that unless you become like these little ones, you cannot enter the Kingdom of God. I always heard this taught that the point was that your faith needed to be like that of a little child... you know, simple. Well, I have come to believe that is not the point of what Jesus was saying. The kids just wanted to be in Jesus presence, to be near Him. They were fascinated by Jesus and wanted to get to know Him. And Wasn't that the point of the whole Martha/Mary controversy in Luke 10?

    I think when we get that part, just wanting to be with Him, spend time with Him, get to know Him (like the kids did, without pretension), then the rest (obedience, doing, serving) simply flows from that. Your heart (for others, both Christian and non-Christian) becomes like His, the more you know Him.
    It is our relationship with God that changes us, from the inside out. Everything else flows from that relationship: service to others; seeing others and situations the way God does, etc... Then it won't be contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete, I like your thinking, but let me push back just a little. What does it look like to "just want to be with him." I mean that sounds a little weird. How do you just "be" with someone who you can't physically interact with? What does it look like when you "just want to be with him"?

    I realize that it may be as simple as not putting the cart (obedience) before the horse (contentment with him), but I'd still like to flesh it out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. It does sound weird. But let me push back and ask a question before I describe it as best I can. How can you introduce someone to Christ if you don't know Him? I mean you can read a biography about someone, but that doesn't mean you know them, just facts about them. Even if it is well written you only get a slight sense of who they are.

    My prayer life is becoming more conversational
    with God. My time in the Bible is less study and more reading for the story of who God is and how He interacts with those He loves, seeking to understand His heart towards me, one of those He loves (for God so loved the world...). I have grown weary of just reading about Him. My desire is to know Him. You can talk about someone, read their biography or autobiography, but until you have spent time with them, you don't really know them.

    So I find myself talking to Him about what is going on in life, my concerns, my struggles, my joys and listening for His response, expecting Him to respond, because as His word says, I am my lovers, and he is mine; draw near to God and He will draw near to you. When you want to be with God like David did, (as the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs for You), He shows up.

    I don't hear a voice literally, but I express myself and ask questions of God. I find myself asking for His guidance, and getting it, a sense of knowing the direction He wants me to go. What should I do in a given situation? (Please don't misunderstand. This is not God as the Magic 8 ball). For example, whether it is praying over someone, giving monetarily to someone in need, etc... All of those things we know to be good things in general. Yet my time/resources are limited in what I have. So I ask Him how do I spend them best to further His kingdom? I believe I am hearing Him when I go to Him with this. "My sheep recognize my voice..." Jesus said. I am trying to listen more. Be still and know that I am God/Cease striving and know that I am God.

    I guess it is just like when you get to know someone in the flesh. You talk to them, spend time with them. Listen to them. I simply act as if God shows up for our time together, and I am finding He does.

    Mystical? Weird? Maybe. But I believe only because we have come to accept the lack of it as normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff (as Johnny Miller would say).... I agree that once you get to know Him, that relationship is what serves as the basis for making effective inroads in other.s lives. Hence the pharasees and sadducees (sp?)life "stealing" slant that screwed so many people up. Plus I think other non-believers see a difference in someone that "knows" Jesus vs. a "church going do-gooder" as they say.

    Toby keith has a song called "I Love This Bar".... well if I could write and sing, I would, and it would be called - "I Love This Blog"; just doesn't sound like a Grammy winner though...

    Stan

    ReplyDelete