Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Romans 6:6-11 :: Sinner or Saint?

Romans 6:6-11 in The Message and TNIV

If my old way of life really was nailed to the Cross with Christ, why does it keep rearing its ugly head?  If I am included in Christ's sin-conquering death, why do I still have to fight with sin?  Other translations say that I am free from the power of sin, but sometimes it really doesn't feel like it. I know in my head that sin speaks a dead language and means nothing to me, but I still want to listen to it and I still find myself speaking it from time to time.

Questions like these are real to a lot of people...maybe even to you.  And if I am totally honest with you, they are real to me sometimes.  I don't drift into "big sins" since I became a Christ follower (but I didn't really before either).  I don't get wasted on the weekends, I don't contemplate murder, I don't have illicit affairs...those things are pretty easy to stay away from.  Is that because sin has no power over me?  Maybe.

I do however drift into "little sins" almost daily.  I struggle with thinking Christ-like thoughts about people. I struggle with laziness sometimes.  I struggle with pride.  I struggle with the things that aren't easily seen by others.  What's the deal?  Did the "power over sin" miss these little ones because it was so focused on the bigger ones?

What have you been taught about the power of sin and your ability to defeat it?  Do you see yourself as free from sin and able to say no, no matter what the sin may be?  Do you believe that the power won't fully be realized until after we leave this earth for heaven?  Do you see yourself as a sinner or a saint?

 

3 comments:

  1. I find this to be a hard question. I have no doubt that, because of Jesus, I am free from the death-consequence of my sin. Nor do I have any doubt that I have been spared many of its destructive consequences in my life. But when I look around me, Christians vary widely in their degree of freedom from sin and it's damaging effects. One friend has found freedom from addiction, another falls back into alcoholism. One marriage is healed, another ends in nasty divorce. One life exhibits freedom and grace, another is characterized by bitterness and regret. I don't think God is randomly choosing to rescue one and not the other, but it is still sometimes a mystery why one Christ-follower can experience the life they were meant to live and another continues to struggle. Is it the identity issue: one sees himself as a sinner and another sees herself as a saint? Maybe. Is it faith - deep down confidence that God can really do it? Maybe. I think it is also community. People who allow Jesus to work in their lives through the community he wants to give them seem to be much more successful. Maybe it is all these things and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one could go on for a looooong time. I am right there with both of you guys, with the same comments and questions. I probably tend to over simplify things but in my little world, I hear the Word telling me that "Big" sin and "Small" sin are one in the same (except for blasphemy - and I sure hope I never did that). It's us that started putting them in a ranking order. I also believe that I will remain a sinner until I go to be with Jesus because I am human and imperfect. But... since I know Jesus and have access to His power over sin and death, I get the opportunity to live above any and all sin that I allow Him to conquer for me. I have days where I allow Him to live through me and the big sins and small sins are easy to stay clear of; by the same token, there are days (ashamedly, sometimes right after a church service) when I "allow" satan to steal my authority over sin. I hate those days / moments. Its a battle and a war for our mind and spirit and the more I commune with other believers and serve others, the more wins I have. Hope this was somewhat sensible - heck its 4am and now I'm even more awake... oh well, beats "sinning".

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe Scripture explains that the death of Christ covers ALL our sins: big, small, past and future. There is a part of me that would feel awkward telling Jesus that I will "remain a sinner" on this earth, because I think he might look at me and say, "What? Was my death not sufficient?"

    I also see that Christ's sacrifice covers all sin, so no matter what mistakes I make tomorrow or the next day, or yesterday and the day before, those sins do not have any power to keep me separated from God. His sacrifice conquered the sin-that-separates-us-from-God, and God has put things right between us. I may choose to miss the mark tomorrow, but in the end I am no longer disconnected from him and separated.

    ReplyDelete