Monday, March 28, 2011

Luke 6 ::

Luke 6

We have a huge back yard.  When we first moved into our house, the yard was in terrible shape, and I only had a small push mower.  It took me forever to mow the grass the first time, and I vowed that I would never do it again.  I got a riding mower, with which I can mow the back yard in about 30 minutes and barely break a sweat.  That's been my habit now for four years.

Sunday my riding mower broke down.  I wore myself out trying to fix it--unsuccessfully--and the lawn was still waiting to be mowed.  With a sense of dread, I started the old push mower and started to eat the elephant of my back yard, one small bite at a time.

About halfway through, the thought occurred to me that I was in terrible shape.  As much as I hated push-mowing, it was actually what I needed.  If I spent more time behind that mower instead of behind a cheeseburger, I would be better off.  The riding mower was pleasant, but it helped to make me weak.

Jesus wraps up chapter 6 with the story of the wise and foolish builders.  Foolish builders are riding-lawnmower types: time after time we choose what pleases us at that moment, what is easiest or most self-gratifying, what fits our lifestyles and doesn't make us uncomfortable.  Wise builders let Jesus push them out of personal comfort.  They serve others, they "put themselves out," they delay personal gratification, they make time for the important.  It may not be obvious which camp we fall into until "the mower breaks down."  Inevitably we are faced with a challenge that either exposes our weakness or reveals our strength.

How is Jesus challenging you to pursue strength instead of ease?  How are you building?

No comments:

Post a Comment