Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Romans 5 :: A Shift for Paul

Romans Reading Plan (Chapters 5 & 6)

In Chapter 5, Paul makes a pretty major shift in the letter.  Up to this point, Paul spends all of his emphasis on the universal invitation to salvation - not just the Jews.  God is the one who initiates the reconnection of our relationship and nothing we do could possibly earn us right standing with God.  Trusting in His work to "set us right" is the only means by which Abraham was made righteous, and is no different for us today.

In Chapter 5, after laying out the basis for our salvation, Paul moves to what happens after we have crossed the line of faith and submitted our lives in all-out trust to God.  What are the effects of a faith decision to trust God with our whole lives?  Chapters 5-8 will open this discussion.

Paul starts Chapter 5 with some of the benefits of being set right with God.  I believe this list to be a sample list, not exhaustive, so my question for today is this:

What benefits do you experience having been set right with God, through faith in Christ?

2 comments:

  1. Freedom from fear. Knowledge that my depravity is not the end of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that because I've had Jesus in my life for a long time, I forget how different my life would be without him. Everyday my life has purpose. There is always a reason to be optimistic and to have hope. I am never alone. I am reminded daily not to just live for myself. This could be a very long list.

    I am reminded of this difference when I spend time with people who are far from God, and realize how different a mindset it is to live without him. I am thankful that I now feel that living with these benefits is "normal," but I don't want to take them for granted. Paul's words in chapter 5 are a great reminder for me that I am living a very blessed life as a Christian.

    ReplyDelete