Friday, February 4, 2011

Romans 13:8-10 :: The Whole Person

Romans 13:8-10 in the TNIV and Message translations

On the first reading of verses 8-10, I thought Paul used the "debt of love" phrase to transition away from the citizenship issues he's been addressing and turn to more personal, relational matters.  But I think that's wrong.  His point is that they are one and the same.  My desire is to compartmentalize: this is Christian living, but that is business, and that is citizenship, and that is personal finances.  No.  Life is Christ, in all and through all, equally relevant in the home, the church, the neighborhood and the marketplace.  "Love your neighbor" applies as much to my political adversary and my boss the family next door.

Brad and I were recently reminded of a graphic representation of this way of living we learned in college.  This visual still sticks with me.  Christ at the center of life, not compartmentalized in to one area, leading and directing in every part.


No comments:

Post a Comment