Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Romans 15:8-13 :: A Good Bridge

Romans 15:8-13 (The Message and TNIV)

My reading came a little late today, but I still got there and I'm glad that I did.  I like music and I particularly like songs with a good bridge.  The song I am singing often throughout my days is "I Will Follow" by Chris Tomlin.  We did this song for the first time at our last gathering.  I like every word of the song, but I particularly like the bridge.  There is something about singing the words "If this life I lose, I will follow you" followed by the bridge: "In You there's life everlasting/In You there's freedom for my soul/In You there's joy, unending joy/ And I will follow."  I love the build that a good bridge gives to an already good song.

For me todays reading is like a good bridge.  I like how Paul has spent his whole letter pointing out how the work of Christ has made us all equal.  No one is better than the other.  No insiders or outsiders, just people in need of God.  Now he points us to what could be - when insiders and outsiders come together!

As I read this, I think about where I live and who I am still separated from because of my own prejudices and arrogance.  One day, we will worship together.  One day our differences will be put aside and our common voice will echo the renown of the One who has unified us.  What a day that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment