Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Luke 2 :: Pigeons and a Prophet

Luke 2

I have experienced forty-one Christmases.  I could have easily resigned myself to reading through chapter 2 and getting it out of the way early.  But, I wanted something new.  I wanted to see something differently than I had every other time I had read this chapter, or had it read to me during a Christmas Eve service.  I expected something a little more this time.  And I wasn't disappointed.  Two things jumped out at me that had never done so before.

First, verses 21-24:
21 On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived. 22 When the time came for the purification rites required by the Law of Moses, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord 23 (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord”), 24 and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law of the Lord: “a pair of doves or two young pigeons.”

I always thought that 22 and 21 happened on the same day.  Today, I discovered that there was a 33 day gap between these two verses.  When a child was circumcised, the mother was declared unclean for 33 days (66 days if she had a girl - I know, it seemed odd to me too).  At the end of the 33 days, was a purification ceremony where the mother would offer her child to God as a sacrifice, then, in essence, purchase him back with an offering.  If the family were wealthy, they would offer a lamb, but if they were poor, they would offer two dove or pigeons.  How incredible that the Son of God only required 2 doves or pigeons!  This is just one more instance of God's insistence of the Savior of the World being firmly rooted in the world - everything from here would be a step up.  He is rooting the identity of the King into the poor and the desolate - whether it be a feeding trough or two pigeons.  This King is different.

Second, verses 33-38:
36 There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37 and then had been a widow for eighty-four years. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. 38 Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

Up until the angel appeared to Zechariah in chapter one, it had been 400 years since God had spoken.  400 years!  Think about that for a second.  400 Years!  Nothing.  I cannot fathom the silence of God for that long.  I may feel like God doesn't speak to me over a period of time, but during that time, I can see that God is speaking to others.  This was not that way.  This prophet, Anna, is a woman - a widow for 84 years!  Talk about feeling that your prayers are bouncing off a ceiling.  She had been a faithful anticipator of the coming of the Messiah in dead silence for her whole life.  Now, she hears!  Now, she sees!  Now, she thanks God and told everyone else who was waiting for the Messiah.  How many times do I feel like cashing in when I don't hear from God for a few weeks when I am searching?

I believe Luke includes the story of Anna for a couple of reasons.  I believe that he wants to set the tone for Jesus' view of women and the value of the widow.  We will see this occur more throughout the life and ministry of Jesus, but for now, it's just a hint of what is to come.  I also believe that Luke highlighted the value of patience and active waiting.  Anna did not waiver in her anticipation for the Messiah, even though her life had been hard and long.  Her consistency allowed her to see clearly when the day did arrive.

What about you?  Did you learn something about Jesus today?  Did you learn something about you?

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I love the Anna story. In addition to what you already mentioned, I think she is representative of the whole nation, who were waiting for God. Jesus came into a world that was anxiously looking for him. I think that's an important quality. When we resign ourselves, when we have no expectations, we get what we expect. But Jesus exceeds the expectations of those who seek him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two verses stood out to me:
    19: But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.
    51: But his mother treasured all these things in her heart.

    Is Mary storing these things in her heart to rely on later? To give her strength later? Or is it a response of awe or wonder or pride?

    Also, this made me realize that Mary also gave her son. I just can't imagine being her in this situation. MY baby "is destined to cause the falling and rising of many"? MY baby is really the Son of God?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, I did a little checking with a friend of mine who is a Greek guru...thought I'd pass along his initial insight to you...

    Treasured = suntereo: protect, keep safe, preserve, keep in good condition, remember, treasure up - used 3x in NT Matt 9.17, Mark 6.20, Luke 2.19

    Ponder = sumballo: meet, encounter, discuss, confer debate, think about, consider - used 6x in NT all in Lukan texts (2.19, 14.31, Acts 4.15, 17.18, 18.27, 20.14)

    Treasure (v.51) = diatereo: keep, treasure up, used 2x in Luke 2.51 and acts 15.29

    FYI, tere- is the root for "keep"

    I don't know if this helps out any, but I thought I'd pass it along...

    ReplyDelete