Friday, May 23, 2008

"There are White Jeeps Everywhere."

Yesterday, I was talking with Cameron about the opportunities to talk about significant, spiritual things with our kids.  Obviously, things are different in my home than his.  I have a 7 year old girl and a 1 year old boy; he has a 9 year old boy and a 14 year old boy.  Very different conversations.  It's barbies v. barbarians!

Anyway, I told him that deciding to engage in spiritual conversations are a lot like buying a new vehicle.  "When you decided to buy a new jeep, you probably thought, 'I'll get a white one because there aren't any of those around.'  Only to discover, after buying the white jeep, that there are white jeeps everywhere!"

It's like this with spiritual conversations.  You may not think that there are many opportunities to talk to your kids about spiritual things, but once you've started looking, you have seen more than you ever thought were there.  It's been that way this week for me.  I have had no less that five distinct opportunities to turn conversations with my daughter into spiritual conversations.  We turned a discussion about kings and queens into a discussion on humanity, and our belief that God created all of us equal - men, women, black and white.  It's amazing how reading to your kids or with your kids helps generate these kinds of discussions.

What have been your experiences this week?  Have you discovered "white jeeps everywhere"?

No comments:

Post a Comment